Housing Services
Skip to Main Content
Click to read notice

COVID-19 Updates: For more information about COVID-19 vaccinations and testing, please click here.

Housing Services

get help with housing

Dealing with housing instability can be very hard to handle alone. In our Housing Services program, we do everything we can to make sure you get the help you need. Our goal is to keep you from becoming homeless and to connect you to health care. People who are living with HIV or are experiencing homelessness may be eligible for housing services available through Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) or Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH).

HOPWA Program

Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) helps people who are HIV-positive with their housing needs. HOPWA is available for people who live in Monroe, Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, Orleans, Seneca, Yates, Schuyler, Steuben, and Genesee counties.

We can help with:
• Finding a place to live
• Getting started: first month’s rent, security and utility deposits, and application costs
• Rent subsidies: HOPWA will pay the difference between 30% of your gross monthly income and fair market rent
• Emergency help: past-due rent, utility shut-offs, and mortgage help

PSH Program

The Permanent Supportive Housing Program (PSH), previously called “Shelter Plus Care,” is a HUD-sponsored program for people experiencing homelessness. To get help from this program, you do not have to be a Trillium Health patient or client, or have a specific diagnosis. Referrals are received from the community via Rochester Monroe Continuum of Care/Coordinated Entry. This program is available in Monroe Country only.

For more information, please call 585.545.7200.

ESSHI Program at Union Square

Trillium Health, in conjunction with Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), and Home Leasing, are partnering on a housing project called Union Square located at 275 East Avenue (on the former Inner Loop).
To be eligible, individuals must:
  • Currently be homeless AND
    • Be living with HIV OR
    • Be age 55+ and require assistance with one or more Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL)*
*What are the IADLs?
  • Independent living skills (e.g. house cleaning, home maintenance, shopping, and meal preparation)

  • Managing finances and benefits (e.g. budgeting, paying bills, benefit and insurance enrollment)

Please send referrals to Javier Elias, Supervisor of Housing Services at Trillium Health at: 585.210.4187 or jelias@trilliumhealth.org